What is a great instructor and how do you get one?
I believe that a great instructor really stands out from the rest.
It is often when the parents sit on the side and think
“Wow! how can we get her/him to take our children”
What is it that gives that edge over other instructors?
- Confidence – Knowing what drills need to be done to encourage change from a fault in the stroke.
- Approachable – If you are approachable then kids will feel at ease with you and try hard when they are swimming.
- Timely – Always on time and ensuring that the children get the maximum amount of swimming time.
- Feedback – Constructive criticism is given constantly. A Positive, something that needs to be worked on and another positive.
- Continuity – If you can keep an instructor for a few terms then you will be winning. That instructor will know your child and will be able to pick up where they left off from the previous term. They will get to know your child and what works or doesn’t work.
- FUN and sense of Humour- One of the most important things when you are teaching swimming is to have fun with the kids, so that they want to come back again and again. Build up a relationship with the child so they have a connection with that instructor.
There are some amazing instructors out there and they are not always the ex swimmers. I have had some amazing instructors I have worked alongside of in the past. Some were mums who were amazing with kids. Some were students who had, had barely any experience teaching swimming.
You will know when you have struck an amazing instructor! Your kids will talk about them and really want to go back to swimming. I have had dolls named after me at home because I had made such an impact in their lives.
Get a great instructor and hold on to them!